Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sally's Big Night

A couple of things you should know about me: 1) I am a sucker. 2) I am a super sucker for dogs. Knowing this now, you can probably guess that Sally has me wrapped around her paw. So it's not enough that I pet sit for her (and that fat fuck Fausto) for a week and a half, I have taken it upon myself to ensure that all of her emotional and physical needs are met and maybe even exceeded.

So this evening I loaded her up in the 'baru after work and, with Tina, took a ride over to the Magnuson Off-leash Park (with a quick stop at Tina's where she bequeathed me some possible Burning Man costumery). Sally was allowed to come in and she spent a good amount of time just sniffing around.

Once at the park I had to put Sally on the leash, which she doesn't need at all, but they have all these rules and signs everywhere that shout at you: blah blah blah leash! She was, as usual, a good sport but was so very, very excited to get her freedom once we got thru the gates. She made a bee line to the water and frolicked in her own calm, Sally way. Poor planning on my part - I forgot a stick - but she still had a lovely time swimming, smelling other dogs butts, and running about like a happy, happy puppy.

After dropping Tina off, we then headed to my place in Ballard with another quick stop - this time to Mud Bay Granary on Greenwood where I got her some high falutin', organic parmesan doggy biscuits to replace the beef berry snacks from REI that I'd been bribing her with for a while now. These biscuits definitely did the trick as she proceeded to follow me every time I headed to the kitchen where she would stare longingly at the bag of biscuits on the window sill. I was tempted to giver her more but I knew that I ran the risk of becoming more than your ordinary, run of the mill sucker if I had.

Anyway, we've been home for a little more than an hour and Sally has abandoned all pretense that she doesn't sleep on the couch when no one is looking. She's crawled up onto the end closest to the window, her head propped on the armrest, a front paw draped over a pillow. She looked right thru me when I came out of the bathroom ready to blog and she pretended not to hear me when I first gave her a half-hearted reprimand and then asked her politely to move.

So here I am, wedged in between a farty black lab to my right and a plotting, evil cat jealous of all the attention he's not getting to my left. All of us tired, nodding off, and dreaming of cheese.

No comments: