Friday, February 15, 2008

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Van Helsing.



Heh. The facial expression on Dracula's face when dealing with Van Helsing pretty much matches my own when thinking about him.

At long last, I finished Dracula last night and I'm glad to be done with it. I am generally in favor of Victorian romances counting Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone" and "The Woman in White" among my favorites. In point of fact, Stoker borrowed heavily from "The Moonstone" by using multiple narrators and journal entries to weave his tale. Unfortunately, he lacks Collins' ability to create well rounded characters that are distinguishable from each other. This might not actually apply to Van Helsing but he insists in saddling the character with a weird 'pidgin' english (the character is from Amsterdam) and a propensity to go on at length that makes reading a tedious, tedious experience. And please, don't get me started on the whole religious aspect of the text.

Anyway, done now and on to an historical biography of Jane Boleyn (check out the link under Bedside Table). Unfortunately, at 4 chapters in, I am beginning to find the writer's style amateurish and the subject matter lacking any real meat. After slogging through Dracula till the bitter end I may give myself permission to drop this before finishing it.

No comments: