Monday, March 10, 2008

The Golden Age of Children's Book Illustrators

Being sick allows for some unfettered internet trawling. One game I play is a mixture of hitting the "Next Blog" button at the the top of Blogger pages and following any interesting links that turn up. Today I stumbled on Nocloo.com and its treasure trove of Children's Book Illustrations - many of which I had not heard of or seen. Here are a bunch of new discoveries:

Here is an example of the work of Umberto Brunelleschi - from the book Contes du Temps Jadis:



A Harry Clarke illustration from Swinburne Selected Poems:


Warwick Goble from The Modern Reader's Chaucer:




Gennady Pavlishin from Folktales of the Amur:


Arthur Rackham is one of my favorites. This illustration for Little Brother and Little Sister was brand new for me, but you can get a good sense of how delicate his art can be:


Check out Nocloo.com for more. They are also offering glycee prints.

No comments: