Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Countdown!

Ivan leaves for Burning Man in 5 days - on the 13th. He's figuring on biking about 50 miles per day on his recumbent carrying just the essentials: water, some Cliff Bars and Goo, a couple changes of clothing, tools, tent and sleeping bag of the 'watch how small I can roll up into' variety, and a credit card.

The latest development of his trip is that last night he fulfilled a long and deeply held desire by purchasing an iPhone. The idea is that this will allow him to chronicle his adventure to the desert online on a daily basis. I haven't actually seen this iPhone yet, but he has promised that I can watch him rub it all over his body. Seriously, he wanted one that badly.

I leave for Burning Man on August 25 with our friend Mark McB - 17 days. I fluctuate between being 'ok, whatever' about the whole thing and being panicked in a 'dear lord jesus, what am I going to wear?!' kind of way. So far I have two pieces of clothing: a simple, white short sleeved dashiki that I can wear as a short dress and a long, black faux velvet jacket with high slits up the sides and faux fur around the neckline and wrists. Ivan commented that he thought it might be too nice to bring to the playa, and it might be because it's dead sexy.

Whatever. After he leaves I'll focus my energy on completing the wardrobe because right now we need to make sure we've got everything ready for the actual camping part: food, shelter, tools, etc. Conditions out there are harsh and having all our physical needs met is priority one. I'll have more about that in a later post.

No comments: