Thursday, February 7, 2008

I'm feeling kind of crafty



With all of the home improvements and decorating we've been doing since the fall, I've found myself itching to do some sort of craft project for myself. I didn't know what until I stumbled over some jewelry organization projects in Blueline/Blueprint via Design*Sponge.

I'm not a big jewelry wearer - rings and bracelets get in the way and I had a late in life brush with pierced ears that ended painfully and puffily. But I do love necklaces and I have several that meet my very particular tastes. However...they are all in a small box somewhere - out of sight and out of mind. Consequently, I rarely wear them.

So, once I saw the lovely DIY projects at Design*Sponge I knew what I wanted to do - make a lovely display box to feed my craft yen AND make my necklaces more than just a box warmer. First on my list - rustle up an appropriate shadow box or small glass front curio case. (If I end up putting this in the bathroom, I'll need something a glass door as it will need to be enclosed to protect them from moisture.) Next, decided on location: bedroom vs. bathroom. Third, make the darn thing.

Instructions from Blueprint are below:

Boxed Rings
If surface area in your bedroom is scarce, try a wall-mounted solution on for size. This jazzed-up shadow box, retrofitted with a variety of hooks and knobs, shelters delicate earrings and chains from possible entanglements while turning them into objets d'art. Small decorative bowls perched on the box's lower ledge corral rings, pins, and brooches and complete the charming trinket tableau.

Box How-To
1. Select a shadow box (or a small wine crate) with a back and sides that are at least 1/4 inch thick to accommodate the hooks. Sand and prime the box, then apply two coats of semigloss spray paint.

2. Cut a piece of decorative paper to fit inside the box, coat the back of the paper with spray adhesive, and press it into place, smoothing it from the center out to the corners with your fingers. Then lay out the jewelry where you'd like it to hang and screw in hooks at the appropriate points.

3. Finally, add two evenly spaced saw-tooth hangers to the box's back for a steady mount.

Credits: Shadow box, $12, frames-direct.com. Similar Berenson "Barcelona" knobs, $6 each, cdmcabinethardware.com. Rust-Oleum "Painter's Touch" spray paint in Seaside Green, $3, rustoleum.com for stores. "Nepal Fish-scale" paper, $5 per sheet, New York Central Art Supply, 212-473-7705


I'll be sure to post pictures when I have something.

No comments: